Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mika 6:8

"Do Justice, Love Kindness, and walk humbly with your God" was the scripture one Sunday morning. I realized that this was the verse from Mika 6:8, but what I didn't realize that after this service my minister would ask me to join an awareness group he had organized specifically around this scripture.

This group consisted of our minister and four other active youth members. After a very long discussion we decided what our focus would be on: social justice.

Doing Justice is not as easy as it may sound. Becoming a part of this group gave me a realization that the social and humanitarian work I have been doing over the past few years was worth it. Not only did the family, children, and communities get a lot out of it; but so did I. I received a spiritual and personal high in my life and it has been the greatest emotion i have ever felt. Just seeing the faces of the ones receiving the help, gave back to me, what i have given to them: love.

One could say that this has "ruined" me for life. And in fact, it has. A friend of mine gave a sermon discussing our, and her personal experiences on our church's missionary work in Guayaquil, Ecuador. She tells of how once someone becomes a part of a movement like this, they are in it for life. It becomes a part of the heart, and a part of the soul. The term "ruined for life" is not meant in the negative way how most would view it. Yet, in a positive way, that for the rest of my life I am part of something wonderful.

For the rest of my life... I will be doing justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly with my God. I will continued to be "ruined for life." And this I truly believe.

No comments: